The CAUL Anaytics Portfolio is being reviewed throughout 2022. Find out more about the Analytics Portfolio Review.
The CAUL Statistics service is a key element of the CAUL Analytics Portfolio. The CAUL Statistics provide data from university libraries in Australia and New Zealand, for the purposes of cross-institutional benchmarking, supporting libraries to demonstrate value and impact, and providing sector-level aggregate data for the profiling of ANZ academic libraries.
The CAUL Statistics include data on collections, staffing, expenditure, library services, and library clients for all Australian and New Zealand university libraries. The statistics are produced annually from data supplied by CAUL and CONZUL institutions.
The CAUL Statistics data collection period is open each year in the second quarter for data entry for the previous calendar year.
Accessing the CAUL Statistics dataset
The dataset can be accessed via CAUL's Tableau Online instance by Member institution staff with an account.
Each Member institution is allocated one Tableau Online licence as part of the membership inclusions. Member institutions can purchase additional Tableau Online licences at a cost of $135 USD per licence per calendar year. To arrange additional licences, please complete the additional licence request form. Please note: licences requested from 23 November 2022 will cover the period through til 31 December 2023.
The following videos provide information about using CAUL's Tableau Online instance:
- Create your Tableau Online account and setup multi factor authentication
- Accessing CAUL Statistics via Tableau Online.
If you do not have a Tableau Online account, you can download data in spreadsheet format using the links below.
ANZ academic library statistics datasets 1969-
Using the data
The definitions for data elements have changed over time and elements have been removed or changed. Be mindful of this when observing trends and making comparisons of data over multiple years.
2021 data collection
Data collection for 2021 will be open from Thursday 5 May until Thursday 30 June 2022.
Please note the following useful links:
- Data entry interface (login required)
- Instructions for the CAUL Statistics Collection for the 2021 Statistics Year
- Current element definitions.
History of the CAUL Statistics
- Statistics were originally published in 1953 in the "News Sheet of the University and College Libraries Section, Library Association of Australia". Data were recorded in "The Red Book".
- The data were published each year as the September supplement of Australian Academic and Research Libraries (AARL) until this was discontinued in 2008.
- From 1992 until 2021, CAVAL managed the collection and compilation of the data.
- From 2022, collection and provision of the data is managed by CAUL National Office.
Questions about CAUL Statistics? Need assistance with completing your statistics data entry? Email CAUL National Office.