Tuesday, 25 April 2017
For news about CAUL and its activities, and those external to, but of immediate interest to CAUL, see the link to News and Events. This page is for additional news about higher education and research, nationally and internationally, and the world of libraries in higher education and their wider environment.
See also the blog from CAUL's Learning & Teaching Advisory Committee at Library and Learning Spaces Image Gallery and the CAUL Newsletter.
25 April, 2017
- ‘The Marrakesh Treaty: an EIFL Guide for Libraries’ is a key resource for librarians supporting ratification and national implementation of the Treaty. The guide provides a straightforward introduction to the Treaty and its key provisions, and concrete recommendations for implementation in order to maximize accessible reading materials available through libraries. EIFL (Electronic Information for Libraries) (EU)
24 April, 2017
21 April, 2017
19 April, 2017
18 April, 2017
- 2017 September 20-21 Lisbon, Portugal 9th Conference on Open Access Scholarly Publishing (COASP). Organised by Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association (OASP) http://oaspa.org/conference/
- 2017 May - June multiple locations 2017 Trove Roadshows: Sharing Your Collections. Organised by Trove at the National Library of Australia http://help.nla.gov.au/trove/roadshow
14 April, 2017
13 April, 2017
- Student Experience Survey (SES). 2016 reports now available. Quality Indicators for Teaching and Learning, funded by the Australian Government Department of Education and Training. (AU)
- Open Data Charter. The Open Data Charter was founded in 2015 as a collaboration between governments and experts who came together and agreed six principles for how governments should be publishing information. The overarching goal is to foster greater coherence and collaboration for the increased adoption and implementation of shared open data principles, standards and good practices across sectors around the world.
- Australia's Adoption of the Open Data Charter. 27 March 2017. Assistant Minister for Cities and Digital Transformation. (AU)
- Blog by samira.hassan on 7 April 2017
- Australia's first Open Government National Action Plan 2016-18. Department of Prime Minister & Cabinet (AU)
- The Open Government Partnership (OGP) is a multilateral initiative and was launched in September 2011 by the United States President, Barack Obama, and the Brazilian President, Dilma Roussef.
- The UK Scholarly Communications Licence – supporting academics with open access. Dr Torsten Reimer, Head of Research Services, The British Library (UK)
- Education on copyright is very important to fight piracy. Opines Emma House, director of The Publishers Association, UK in an exclusive interview with All About Book Publishing. Feb/Mar 2017 (IN)
- Colleges, Libraries and Presses Team Up to Publish Open Scholarship (And Rethink Model) By Jennifer Howard. Apr 11, 2017 EdSurge News (US)
10 April, 2017
- Environmental Scan 2017 [pdf]. By the ACRL Research Planning and Review Committee. March 2017. Association of College and Research Libraries (US)
9 April, 2017
7 April, 2017
- 73% of Academics Say Access to Research Data Helps Them in Their Work; 34% Do Not Publish Their Data. April 5th, 2017. The report, Open Data: The Researcher Perspective [pdf], is the result of a year-long, co-conducted study between Elsevier, the information analytics company specializing in science and health, and the Centre for Science and Technology Studies (CWTS), part of Leiden University, the Netherlands. (NL)
- Key financial metrics on Australia’s higher education sector - 2nd edition. Date of Publication: Tuesday, 13 December, 2016. TEQSA (The Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency( (A)
- 2017 August 29-31 Sydney AFR Higher Education Summit. Organised by Informa Australia and ARF (Australian Financial Review) https://www.informa.com.au/event/afr-higher-education-summit/
5 April, 2017
- Roxon N. Interview with the Hon. Nicola Roxon: getting evidence into health policy. Public Health Res Pract. 2017;27(1):e2711701 'Public health researchers and practitioners want to see their research inform government decision making. It is not always clear to researchers how evidence is used in policy decisions in a highly politicised environment with many competing demands. We spoke to the Honourable Nicola Roxon, former Australian Minister for Health and Ageing (2007–2011), to gain some insight into the process, and advice on how to engage most productively with government.'
4 April, 2017
- Open Access Article Processing Charges: DOAJ Survey May 2014. Heather Morrison * , Jihane Salhab, Alexis Calvé-Genest and Tony Horava. Publications 2015, 3(1), 1-16; doi:10.3390/publications3010001. (This article belongs to the Special Issue Beyond Literature: A Scholarly Infrastructure for Text, Data and Software)
- Bryant, Rebecca, Brian Lavoie and Constance Malpas. 2017. A Tour of the Research Data Management (RDM) Service Space. The Realities of Research Data Management, Part 1. [pdf] Dublin, Ohio: OCLC Research. (US)
- 2017 August 3-4 Edinburgh, UK Repository Fringe 2017 'The UK repository community's unmissable gathering'. Organised by DCC (Digital Curation Centre), EDINA and the University of Edinburgh http://rfringe17.blogs.edina.ac.uk/
- 2017 August 15-17 Berlin, Germany IFLA Satellite Meeting 2017: Digital Humanities. Hosted by BBAW (Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities), DARIAH-EU (Digital Research Infrastructure for the Arts and Humanities in Europe), DINI (Deutsche Initiative für Netzwerk-Information/German Initiative for Network Information), IFLA, LIBER (Ligue des Bibliothèques Européennes de Recherche – Association of European Research Libraries) and the Library of the Humboldt University Berlin http://libereurope.eu/events/ifla-satellite-meeting-2017-digital-humanities/
- 2017 November 27-29 location tbc DCDC Conference | The National Archives & RLUK Conference. Organised by The National Archives (UK) and RLUK (Research Libraries UK) http://dcdcconference.com/
3 April, 2017
29 March, 2017
27 March, 2017
24 March, 2017
- Copyright changes get tick of approval [by] Julie Hare, The Australian, 3:13PM March 23, 2017 (AU)
- The New Media Consortium (NMC), University of Applied Sciences (HTW) Chur, Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB), ETH Library, and the Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL) are jointly releasing the NMC Horizon Report > 2017 Library Edition at the ACRL 2017 Conference. This is the third edition of the NMC Horizon Report that explores the realm of academic and research libraries in a global context. (AU)
23 March, 2017
17 March, 2017
16 March, 2017
15 March, 2017
14 March, 2017
13 March, 2017
- Jisc Digital Student. Investigating students' expectations of the digital environment. Learner Stories. (UK)
8 March, 2017
3 March, 2017
- CHOR Continues International Expansion with Australian Partnership, by Sara Girard. 'Australian Research Council and La Trobe University Launch Pilot Program with CHOR to Improve Public Access to Government-Sponsored Research in Peer Reviewed Publications' CHORUS: Clearinghouse for the Open Research of the United States March 2, 2017.(US)
2 March, 2017
- Independent review into regional, rural and remote education. On 2 March 2017, the Minister for Education and Training, Senator the Hon Simon Birmingham, announced the appointment of Emeritus Professor John Halsey to lead the review. The review will consider the key challenges and barriers that impact on students’ learning outcomes, including transitions toward, and success regarding, further study, training and employment. A discussion paper and online platform for public submissions will become available from April 2017. (AU)
1 March, 2017
27 February, 2017
- Visions for Australian Tertiary Education [pdf], a collection of writing by leading education researchers on their visions for the future of the sector, Edited By Richard James, Sarah French And Paula Kelly, published by the Melbourne Centre for the Study of Higher Education (CSHE). ISBN: 978-0-7340-5341-1 (AU)
- 2017 November 29-30 Melbourne TEQSA Conference. Organised by TEQSA (Tertiary Education Quality Standards Agency) http://www.teqsa.gov.au/news-publications/events
- 2017 June 23-25 Canberra New Librarians Symposium 8 (NSL8). Organised by ALIA (Australian Library & Information Association) http://nls8.com/registration/
26 February, 2017
- What is Fair? Speech [by] Deputy Chair, [Productivity Commission] Karen Chester, presented a speech on copyright to the Australian Digital Alliance Forum in Canberra on 24 February 2017. (AU)
24 February, 2017
- Adams Becker, S., Cummins, M., Davis, A., Freeman, A., Hall Giesinger, C., and Ananthanarayanan, V. (2017). NMC Horizon Report: 2017 Higher Education Edition. Austin, Texas: The New Media Consortium. (US)
- Fair Use/Fair Dealing Week [20-24 February] is an annual celebration of the important doctrines of fair use and fair dealing. It is designed to highlight and promote the opportunities presented by fair use and fair dealing, celebrate successful stories, and explain these doctrines. Association of Research Libraries (US)
20 February, 2017
- The Draft 2016 National Research Infrastructure Roadmap was released for comment on 5 December 2016. 172 submissions were received by the department in response to the Draft Roadmap. Public submissions are available on the Department’s website. The CAUL response to the draft Roadmap was submitted 16th Jan 2017.
14 February, 2017
13 February, 2017
- CAUL was one of 47 organisations (including ALIA, Google, Facebook and Twitter) to sign a joint letter to the Minister for Communications the Hon. Mitch Fifield asking for action to be taken on copyright reforms recommended by the Productivity Commission. The letter was coordinated by the Australian Digital Alliance (ADA) and published on 13th February 2017.
- Institute of Physics (IOP) Publishing and the Council of Australian University Librarians (CAUL) have announced a new agreement, covering 31 universities in Australia and New Zealand. The new model is based on an institution’s science-category full time equivalent students, and weighted against levels of study and research.
- 'My thoughts on revolutionising scholarly publishing in the digital age', an article on FromMelbin about academic publishing by Mal Booth, University Librarian at UTS.
10 February, 2017
8 February, 2017
6 February, 2017
2 February, 2017
See more at What Was New in 2017 ....